2/1/08

Dirt-y Dreams

I've been lucky the last couple of days. I had a little time to myself. Dave took all the kids to Mutual/Scouts on Wednesday night...and even took the rest of the little ones with him to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things I had forgotten earlier in the day (I'm getting old, ya see!). This left me with a couple of hours to myself. Imagine that!! (This is where you're supposed to remember I home school, so I really don't have a couple of hours to myself most days.) The first thing I did was sit down and watch the GOP debate on the computer. No interruptions. I didn't have to explain anything to the children about what a "terrorist", or "amnesty" is, or why McCain was a P.O.W., or why it's funny that Mitt can't picture Bill Clinton in the White House with nothing to do all day! I'm glad I did. Fun stuff. I'm likin' Mitt Romney. I hope he wins. I can go on and on about this topic, but I'll save it for another day.

But, I couldn't blow ALL the time, so I got up and did what I told Dave I'd do...I actually got in a much needed SHOWER! Not a quicky like usual. You know the kind where you can get between the toes, and really wash your hair well, and actually use the conditioner that's not the instant kind? A REAL shower. Rare for me. Then I actually got time to file down my jagged finger nails, put on hand lotion, attempt to resemble a woman again, etc. I almost feel pampered. Almost.

But, for some reason, this led to "dirt-y dreams". The kind where you picture yourself out in the bright sun shine, surrounded by butterflies and sweet smelling flowers. The kind where you're going down the rows feeling the dirt between your fingers and toes, hot sun on your back, and then suddenly the ice cold sprinkler on your back (people without kids can't relate to that one). The kind where you laugh as your 2 year old takes a pod of peas, opens it, and proceeds to eat the "little green balls" behind your back because he thinks it's a treat and doesn't want to get caught! (What were YOU thinkin'? Don't you know me better than that? Sheesh.) The kind where you look at the garden you've created and feel that special "pat on the back" feeling from the Holy Ghost that you've done something you were asked to do, and you can see (and smell) the blessings you'll get from it. I drooled over seed catalogs, ordered what I wanted, and sat down to read about more and more cool things I could add to the landscaping. But, I just stuck to buying the seeds for the garden. The landscaping will have to wait.

Do you dream about gardens? Great big cutting gardens? Scads of bright, vibrant flowers everywhere (with no bees in my dreams!). Great paths with shade, singing birds, and fantastic smells? Vases of flowers in your house all the time to bring the sunshine in? Or a food garden...fresh strawberries (dipped in chocolate and topped with whipped cream!), blueberries, peaches fresh and right off the trees? Or a nice glass of home made grape juice, with a bowl of salsa--made from crisp tomatoes and peppers from your own land-- and chips? Or just a nice salad from your own garden? Aaahhh...those are good dreams. Refreshing. Motivating. Dirty; but refreshing.

But, for those wondering how a shower leads to dreaming about playing in the dirt and gardening...it all began when the word "ripe" crossed my mind as I headed for the water!

No comments: