7/11/08

Wow. We've been busy around here. Here is a picture of the youth at 3:30am heading out the door for their pioneer trek! For 4 days they will brave the heat (100 degree weather!), the wind (gusts up to 25 mph!) and fatigue (pulling a handcart full of equipment) in order to learn what it was like for previous generations to settle this part of the country! It'll be a memorable experience.
To prepare for this, they sewed their own clothes. This is Jacqueline's purple dress. She made 90% of this!! She also has a dark green one! I was happy for her to learn this skill. (Her hair is still braided from girls' camp.) I think she looks cute!
Cheyennah made a brown dress and a navy blue dress. She wasn't much for taking pictures, but she did work hard, and I was pleased. She also helped a friend make 2 skirts. She stayed up late one night to do this for her friend, which made me proud of her willingness to sacrifice! What a lady. In one day, we made one green pioneer dress (all of it!), 2 skirts, 2 aprons, one bonnett, 2 men's shirts, and finished the details (buttons, hems, etc.) on 3 other pioneer dresses! I had some help from Cheyennah, and a gal from church who did the button holes for me, and a youth from church who sewed all the wooden buttons on one of the dresses! Dakota helped a great deal, too.

Here's mom's dress. I didn't get to go on the trek (the adults needed to be married to go), but I had made this dress before then. I loaned it to a very nice friend to wear on the trek. She was a sweetie, and I'm glad the dress got to go!

So, we're glad we learned a new skill. I'll never worry about fixing a seam again...and Cheyennah can put in zippers now. I can even make a shirt (although I seriously need to work on the cuffs!)!! So, we're enjoying our summer. If we do nothing else, it will be a success. I'll try to get some pictures of the youth when they come back. I'm sure they'll be tired!

How to sew. Really. I know we don't NEED to, but it was part of the youth's trek to dress like pioneers. Walmart doesn't sell pioneer dresses and bonnets. So, I had to learn to sew. The girls did, too. And, even Dakota got a few lessons! In one day we finished 2 men's dress shirts (loose like in the 1800's), 2 skirts, 1 full pioneer dress, 2 aprons, 1 bonnet, and the details (buttons, hems, etc.) for 3 other dresses! Yes. One machine, one day, one tired mamma!

4 comments:

rachel said...

How awesome for the girls to get to both Girls Camp and the Trek. Way cool! Can't wait to hear all about it on your blog when they get back. What a wonderful experience for them.

(You look GREAT!!!!)

Margaret said...

WOW! That is determination defined! Good job momma!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Your girls really did look adorable on the trek. . .I didn't see Dakota much, but wished I'd have known that he had homemade shirts and I would have looked for him. Carly told me about how hard you all worked and how much fun she had being part of your family for a few days. . .love ya! S

The deVilleneuves said...

Carly saw us at our WORST! Frazzled, overwhelmed, tired...and so I'm surprised she didn't kill us all before the trek!