8/7/08

You can't take your eyes off it, can you?

As a mother, I can point out the very nice hair on this little guy. I can point out how clean he is (after his bath). I can even try to distract you with the nasty white marks on my bookshelf that our dadgum vacuum leaves when we rub against it. But, no matter what I try to point out...you keep lookin' at this little guy's search for buried treasure, don't you??
And, as a mother, you have a strong impulse to go fix it that you're trying to repress. You want to sneak up quietly and pull that finger out, and wipe it down with a handiwipe. You do. I feel it.

But, you can't.

Yes, even she knows the urge is there. She also knows how WRONG this is to a mother's psyche. She can't help but laugh hard as the poor, sleepy little cherub snoozes blissfully unaware of where he left is finger.

I'll bet you're snickerin', too, aren't you??? We really can't "pick on him", now can we? He's little and innocent, and has NO clue what is up that little tunnel on his face. NO clue.

And he has no idea I'll show this sweet little picture to his girlfriend someday, either. Shhh...Ellie....Don't tell!

6 comments:

Amber said...

That's funny! Cameron has started "digging for buried treasure" too! And yes I do have the natural urge as a mother to yank his little finger out and wash it off!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I love the way you wrote this. . .you're a natural writer and comedian! Very cute and I can't wait to see this photo on his wedding video!! Mabye he'll marry one of the Idiart/Nadauld gals! Or at least be BFFs with Marcus, that kid has a nasty picking habit!

Kelly said...

What a great photo! Definitely a keeper.

The Lighthearts said...

Ha Ha Ha! Priceless. I must admit...I find this picture oddly comforting...knowing that my son is not the only boy with a certain bad habit. Athough, Carter doesn't look as sweet and innocent. :)

allison nadauld said...

Hilarious! I love your post.
Love,
Allison

rachel said...

Absolutely precious!!!