8/26/08

Wined and Dined....

This is Stan Wines. He's a great man. His wife (Catherine) and he live out in the sticks. They are some of my favorite people in the world. Either of them would give you the last crumb of bread they had, the shirt off their backs, or any time they had to spare. They are just some of the absolute best Christians I know. They are the ones that show up on the widow's door when I don't. And the ones to take in the stray puppies. And turn them into masterfully obedient dogs. They are the ones that will be there when times get tough. Really. No fair-weather friends here. Just magnificent people! They are great fun to be around, too.

This is Stan's truck (white, of course). He logs land (one of many skills and jobs). Sometimes he gets (ahem)... "scraps". Yesterday, Stan brought me some "scraps" from a job. I couldn't have been more giddy. Really. Seriously.Now, Stan is lifting TREES with his toy. I mean, truck. Entire trees. Multiples at once.
This is what the truck looked like when he came. A wee bonnie load. Yup. HUGE! I about died. In a good way.
After it was unloaded, it looked like this. Please note the size of the COW, fence (4'), and boys in the pictures. This is a huge pile of "scraps". So, we spent the rest of the afternoon trying to keep up with Stan and his saw. Me and the girls would load and stack the wood after Stan sliced it off the pile (like butter), and Dakota split it. Dakota did a great job splitting. I was very happy he could do that for us. We were tired at the end of the day...and not much of the pile is gone!! We have much more work to do!
So, once it was unloaded, Stan loaded his truck. I've always wondered how they get the back half onto the front half. Logically, they pick it up and put it there.... duh. I should've figured.







And after all that work, we ate. Like pigs. We had a full dinner (the first real one we've had in weeks due to traveling), and a nice dessert of peach crisp with vanilla ice cream. Stan stayed to tell us all some stories. I tell you, he's a MASTER story teller. He has us all on the edge of our seats waiting for the story's next detail. And then we all laugh until we cry, pee or choke! It's so much fun!!! I slept well last night...heart, mind and tummy all at ease. I love that. Thanks Stan and Catherine. I appreciate all you do!

4 comments:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Wow, that was cool! What a nice write up on your friend, Stan, too. I'd love to meet him, eat your home cooked meal and hear the stories. And see you all pee, choke and what was the other one? Very fun, Thanks! OH, and I hope you'll be posting about your trip soon!

rachel said...

There's nothing better than good and true friends.

allison nadauld said...

I always wonder what those kind of trucks look like. Good friends make all the difference!

Christine said...

i see you haven't blogged in some time...come on...get with the program...I expecting you'd cover the elections but guess its a sore subject huh?