8/7/08

A Girl and her Horse...

What is it about us girls and horses? I was horse crazy as a child. I knew everything there was to know about Man O War, Kentucky Derby, Triple Crowns, etc. I went to polo shows with my mom in the summer...eating cheese and crackers, and watching the Ladies in their summer hats glide by me. I wanted to be a Lady, too. But, the Ladies didn't ride. They watched. I wanted to run in the summer fields as fast as the horse could go. Someday I will.

My girls are horse crazy, too. Finally, summer has sprung in our house (looonnnnggg school year!) which means freedom to PLAY! J loves this. We appreciate Sister B teaching my girls how to ride. She's a great teacher. Many of her students took prizes at the local fair, which is nice. So, we're beginning training into a wonderful world of freedom. And manure. And blue jeans, boots, and did I mention FREEDOM?

After the lesson comes the love. The time to care for your horse, and let them know you appreciated their time. This is where the heart gets tied to the sport.

She's got it down.

It's just a gentle way of life...standing there slowly brushing off the steed. Love that.

2 comments:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

This is a sweet post, I love the self reflection, the beautiful photos and I really think you need to hurry over to blurb.com right now and start publishing your blog into a book . . . a journal with photos, really. You can print one copy for each kid. . .they will treasure this book and it's only $12 to do. . . Your blog is worth it! It's so sweet and chronicles your families lives. . .xo, Sarah

Kelly said...

How wonderful! I really think horses are every little girl's dream. I know my girls love horses in a big way.